Here I Go

       I have been meaning to post the past few weeks to give an update of my thoughts and preparations for my trip to Costa Rica, but of course have not found the time. Time really does fly. Before I knew it I was on a plane to Texas. I was going to write while on the plane, but I didn't quite have my thoughts together and was enjoying just watching the clouds outside of the small, oval plane window. Clouds are a strange thing really. God's creation is so amazing to me. I was very nervous about flying alone, especially since I had only flown once before as a small child. But everything worked out wonderfully. I was checked in easily, found my gate quickly, and had a comfortable seat on the plane next to two quiet, elderly ladies that read their books and drank their hot tea between snoozes. I arrived in Texas before noon yesterday and enjoyed a wonderful day with my relatives. It was exciting to see my cousins and uncle whom I have not seen since I was a child. I am sitting on my aunt's couch as I type. I am listening to her crazy birds talking away and wondering where the creepy little dog is. (She likes to stare and whine for no reason...but she's cute, so I forgive her)
       Amidst the fun activities and time with my family, the thought of leaving the country tomorrow is always in the back of my mind. I feel like I should be preparing myself, but honestly, I don't know how to do so. I really don't think the reality of what's happening will hit me until I see the hills of Costa Rica out of the plane window. The only Spanish I know is hello, water, and numbers 1-10...which may cause some interesting communication. When I think about that, I am reminded of a quote from The Hole in our Gospel; "Preach the Gospel always; when necessary use words." How true is that? Sometimes I become very bothered by the fact that I don't know other languages, let alone do not communicate well in English. But when I think about it and remember that quote, I remember that I don't need words to show the love of Jesus! I can simply do so by smiling and making my actions reflect Him in humble obedience. "When we become involved in people's lives....we are showing Christ's love to those around us, not just talking about it."(The Hole in our Gospel)
       I am beyond excited to see what God has in store for me through this trip. I know that He will open my eyes in many ways that I can't even imagine. I am not going to take my laptop to Costa Rica, but I know I will have lots to post about when I return. I cannot wait to share my experiences and the lessons that God teaches me. Please keep the missions team in your prayers as we fly tomorrow and throughout the week as there is a mosquito fever spreading around(not malaria, but I cannot remember the name). Thank you for your prayers and support! Here I go! :)
      

Comments

  1. You are right about smiling. Just smile and give hugs and your love will flow into those you encounter. God will guide you through this mission trip and you will come back with a lot of love for those people who you will always remember your presence. God bless. Eileen K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mikayla, I will be away while you are on your missions trip. You will much be in our thoughts and prayers. When I return I will be anxious to read and or hear all about your experience. God bless you richly as you will be the arms of Jesus to many of these children. As you quote one of your favorite verses. God does know the plans that HE has for you. This trip is part of HIS plan, to work out HIS purposes in your life. Excited for you Mikayla. We have enjoyed watching you grow up into the beautiful young lady that you are. Love and Blessings. Cindy H.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts