Choosing Truth

The first week in Uganda was probably the most challenging. Needless to say, my journal entries were lengthy. I tried to cut them down some, but I also know that God is asking me to be vulnerable - to share the raw and real of my heart. So if you're interested in reading, I recommend some hot tea and a comfy chair. 

6.15.18

I really cannot fathom everything right now. It's hard to be present when there is so much to take in and exhaustion/jet lag is so real. My detail-oriented mind is overwhelmed. Adjustments are already difficult for me to begin with - but this is challenging in many new ways. I am thousands of miles away from home, wifi is iffy, and there are so many cultural things to learn (e.x. how to talk, how not to offend or be offended, currency & how to pay the right amount without being ripped off, etc.). Anxiousness tries to creep in and I feel frustrated. I want to be present - to absorb the beauty and joy of this place. Instead, I feel homesick and fragile. A microscopic-sized curtain seems to hold back the waterfall of tears waiting to be released at any moment. I feel selfish. I know that it's okay to feel what I'm feeling, but I have moments where I feel ashamed of my emotions - frustrated that I'm so sensitive; feeling like I should be something other than what I am - braver, bolder, less afraid, more gracious, more loving. But these thoughts are such lies. I am beloved. This is what matters. I am Christ's. He created me with great attention to detail and perfectly designed to accomplish His plans for my life and this world. There is purpose in all that I am and all that I am not. And He is with me in these places. I am loved. He makes that evident in His perfect provision for me - the love and constant prayers of those back home, my mama's heart of love and joy for me, a kindred soul in Olivia (another intern), the understanding and kind heart of Laura (Amani's director), the smiles of sweet babies, mama's who hug and welcome me, quiet time to myself, good food, time for rest, scripture in my heart and mind. 

Regardless of how I am feeling, it doesn't get to define how I walk through life. I can be afraid, but still obedient. I can be struggling, but still grateful. And that's what I will choose to do - see the beauty of my Jesus in this place. I am thankful..
  • ... for not dying on my first boda ride (motorcycle transportation with a strange man). 
  • ...for a bit of wifi to see my mama's face & hear her voice. 
  • ...sweet kiddo's running into my arms, calling "auntie" without hesitation, as if I'm a family member returning home (even though this is the first time ever laying eyes on me)
  • ...the comfort of scripture (esp. Phillipians)
  • ...Olivia's mutual love for God's word 
 Thoughts of purpose from Philippians 1:9-11:
"And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God." 

Lord, 
You are here with me. I am yours. I am loved. There is purpose in all things. Thank you. Give me courage to be vulnerable in the days to come - to let the tears flow and the laughter abound - to just be who you created me to be - to love in the way that you call me to love, with the gifts, ability and knowledge that you have given me. Give me the strength and peace to be present - to absorb the beauty in this place - to know Your heart more deeply. Give me the humility to surrender all that I am and all that I am not, that in You, I may be more whole. That my joy would be full, so that you might be glorified in my life and that your kingdom would abound in this "already, but not yet" place. Draw me nearer and nearer to Your heart, that is my prayer. 
Amen. 

In other, unrelated news, I don't like roaches. Dead or alive. And jack-fruit? It's really weird, not sure that it's bad, just weird. 


6.16.18

It's going to take some time to get used to sleeping here. The rooster is serious about his 4:30am wake up call and ear plugs like to make home in my bed rather than my tiny little ears. I'm still adjusting, and I know that it will take some time. But I'm not going to let how I'm feeling keep me from joy or seeing the Lord's goodness in this place. In fact, I think wrestling with anxious feelings and sensitive emotions makes the goodness of the Lord that much more evident. For that I am thankful. 


     I'm sitting outside on the porch, watching these sweet children play outside. One of the children has cerebral palsy (CP) and another has several similar congenital conditions. I am amazed at the way that they move and play. I remember having CP patient's during my pediatric rotation in nursing school. Every single one was bed-bound with contractured limbs and pressure ulcers. I know that it may just be a matter of severity, but I can't help and wonder if the lifestyle here has helped them. The staff encourage independence and freedom of play, but also maintain consistency with each of the children equally. 

"Ah, Lord God! It is You who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you." -Jeremiah 32:17

10:20pm 
Fear is frustrating. I'm exhausted and overwhelmed. It's difficult to quiet my mind and heart before the Lord without having quiet space to myself. The enemy sees my exhaustion and frustrations and tries to whisper lies into my mind...
  • ..."there is no purpose if you don't "feel" a certain way"
  • ..."you will always wrestle deeply with anxiety"
  • ..."others don't understand or don't want to always hear about your struggling"
  • ..."how can you be a nurse and love on families if you're always afraid"
God, continue to teach me to surrender with my whole heart and believe the truth of your character with my whole heart. Some days it feels so difficult. Choosing the Truth...
  • ...there is always purpose, regardless of what I'm feeling, because I am the daughter of the Creator of all things. He loves me. He chose me. He has plans for me- the greatest of all, being loved by Him.  
  • ...even if I wrestle with anxiety all of my human years, it will NOT be forever. Because my eternity is with Christ, when all things will be fully and perfectly restored. 
  • ...I am human. We all struggle, and to some capacity we all know what it means to struggle with fear and doubt. To be vulnerable with others opens doors for the Spirit to move in our brokenness. To be selfish in thinking that I am the only one who struggles is to say that brokenness isn't a real part of this whole world - that we are not all equally in need of redemption. 
  • ...God has called me to be a nurse, with purpose far greater than myself. I make everything about me - when God's plans and thoughts are SO much higher and wiser than me. He doesn't need me or any of us. But He chooses me, that I might know His love more deeply. 
Lord,
Open my eyes to see the truth of You, which is SO far greater than me. I know that You are teaching me what it means to full-heartedly surrender. Thank you. It's so difficult some days. But I know that you are revealing yourself, and God, I praise you for that. You are so good to me, to love me this deeply - to allow me to struggle and hurt, that I may know the richness of your comfort and love to greater depths. Thank you for loving me through Your word, Your peace, Your friendship, and Your children. Give me strength to work through the things that you have laid on my heart, and to see your hand in all of it. Teach me to live in the freedom of joy, found in you. I trust your plans.
Amen.

"No temptation (not even fear or doubt) has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." -1 Corinthians 10:13
His deep, all-encompassing love is my escape from the temptation to fear.

God in the moments...
  • Comforting truth from my mama... "don't dwell on anxiety. Peace and joy are sometimes a choice." 
  • "Auntie, I love you." - John...

  • A lap full of kiddos...
  •  Daniel's sweet smile & kisses...



    "What insanity compels me to shrivel up when there's joy water to be had here? Whenever I am blind to joy's well, isn't it because I don't believe in God's care? But how do you make yourself want joy? You have to want to see the well before you can drink from it. You have to want to see joy, God in the moment. I cup hands and all the world is water. There is always a well. All is well." -Ann Voskamp 

    6.17.18 

    8:00am.
    I'm so thankful for God's goodness in providing rest. There are still many sounds to get used to - music from somewhere different each night (last night was a birthday party until all hours..), the dogs barking, birds chirping, the rooster (I'm convinced he's defective)... it's all part of the experience of this place. 
         I'm excited for church this morning. We get to take a child from our cottage each week. At first, I was a little unsure of being placed with the oldest boys, as I'm usually a "baby" person, but I think it's going to a fun-filled challenge. There are seven sweet boys who just want to hold my hand and play silly games. One boy in particular cracks me up - Edmond (who has the biggest smile that I've ever seen, literally.), is a little con artist. He's always trying to convince an "auntie" to come with him for something "REALLY" important. Bit it's always preceded by "auntie, I love you, come with me." How can you say no? 
         My body tells me to be anxious, but I know that it is a lie. Regardless of how I feel today, whether overwhelmed or indifferent, I'm reminded of one of my favorite concepts: Joy is not a subjective feeling, but an objective reality of who God is. I don't have to feel a certain way to choose joy - choosing joy simply means choosing Jesus. 

    "People who live with purpose, obedience, resolve, and meaning are constantly renewing themselves by leaving things behind." -Maria Goff 
    Learning to leave fear behind. 

    Thoughts from church:
    • We look at the prison, but God looks at the process. 
    • We look at the chains, but God looks at the victory. 
    • "And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ." - Philippians 1:6 
6:00pm

I think that I'm struggling because I don't really know where God is leading me. All I know is that I am a nurse. The idea of moving abroad (something I've felt called to for many years) suddenly feels really scary and difficult. I don't need to now anything other than the present day. That's God's plan for me - to know Him in these moments and to live as an example of the gospel's work, so that He might be glorified. It's difficult when friends are getting married, having babies, moving, etc. My life feels different than what I had planned in my mind. The unknown is hard. But God is faithful. That I know. 


"My horizons were being expanded in the most amazing ways; my perspectives were being changes every day; and my faith was being challenged and stretched. All of this was exciting to me. I didn't want to admit that, in the midst of such a wonderful and invigorating experience, I sometimes felt tangible pangs of loneliness when I thought about how many miles I was from the people I loved. I spent many hours curled up in a ball on my lumpy twin bed, sweltering, often in the dark, and crying - partly because I missed my family. Sometimes, I cried because I was simply exhausted." 
-Katie Davis 

6.18.18

Joy is Jesus in the moment. 

I'm exhausted and feel like I could have a good cry, but today, I most definitely saw Jesus in the moment. It was the first day of my work routine. I spent time with the nurse doing some assessments on the children, and also spent time helping in the preschool. But the moment that sticks out to me more than anything was when I was outside playing with my boys. Michael and I were walking around the yard and he asked me to sit down with him. He picked up a big rock from beside the fence. He looked up at me a huge grin and said, "Jesus is my Rock! And my Fortress! And my Deliverer!" ...."Now, you say it." I felt tears well up in my eyes. It was as if God was speaking directly to my heart through this sweet little boy's words - "Mikayla, trust me more simply - trust me like a child." I think this is what Jesus meant when he said to have a childlike faith. Stop complicating it. Take Jesus to be who He says He is, and walk in that truth. Oh, how much I complicate the Gospel. Jesus, teach me to trust you like a child. To stop living in fear and actually live as if I truly believe that You are who you say You are. 
     I understand what Katie Davis meant when she said that she felt joy and exhaustion and loneliness - they're all very real emotions. And it's hard. But God is in them all and working all things for good. I'm struggling to journal tonight because today was so full and overwhelming, in the best way. 

Jesus in the moment (JOY) today...
  •  Little John following me around the clinic - wanting to help me with all of the medicine 
  • Mama Grace's sweet character (reminding me of my own mama) 
  • The nurse wanting to learn from each other (it's crazy how our experiences of healthcare can be so different - she was shocked that I had never performed a blood test for malaria before)
  • Helping Bobbi & Blessing learn how to count during preschool 
  • The little boys shouting "Auntie KK, I love you!" during lunch time
  • Michael's singing 
  • Daniel's sweet snuggles 
  • A handful of kids fighting for a place in the pile of children on my lap 

The joy & faith of my sweet Michael.


Comments

Popular Posts