Remembering

I keep seeing this quote lately: 

“I remember the days I prayed for the things I have now.”

Isn’t remembering a form of thanks? Why do we (I) so quickly bypass gratitude? We ask God for things. Then we either complain when he doesn’t answer in our time or the way we had planned in our minds. And we wonder why our lives are filled with anxiety, fear, and doubt. We feel helpless. Alone. Abandoned. But we aren’t nearly as quick to recognize his answers - his generosity and loving kindness and goodness. Which is always available even if we don’t receive the answer we wanted - because those things are who God is. He always gives us more of himself when we ask. 

When I remember those things I’ve prayed for, some for years, some more recently... 

-a husband and family

-healing 

-to feel again 

-protection over my family

-a gentle season

-a home near our families and jobs 

-peace over anxiety 

-gentleness over anger 

-connection 

-purpose 

…oh how differently the Father has answered (is answering) from the way I prayed. But how kind He is. How good his timing has been. He constantly teaches me to trust him. He reminds me of his unfailing faithfulness, when there is little hope in my heart and much doubt in my mind. He reframes what I’m asking for and gives me more of himself while I wait. 

What if we just practiced remembering? Maybe it would lead us to recognize his answers. It would slow us to find gratitude. It would fill our lives with hope and peace, over the fear and doubt we create in our complaining. It takes constant intentionality. To remember. To be grateful. Praise God that His mercies are new every morning. God, help us remember. 

Comments

Popular Posts