He Romances Me

 When I feel at the end of my ropes, I always seem to find myself in front of an open page. A blank slate. A starting over. There’s something about this space that pours out clarity. Words fall into the open chasm. They flow freely and rapidly as a booming waterfall. From the chasm below, it’s difficult to understand the origin of the words. It cycles over and over, cascading down like a smooth blue satin. Outpouring comfort and beauty. Their power and strength is unending, rushing over the rocks – the hard places of the chasm. In its flooding force, it shouts “I will not be overlooked or overcome.” I outreach the furthest of spaces and invade the smallest crevices. Hear the torrents of my intention. To wash over you, that there may be no doubt of how I cover you. The roaring stream overflows My love for you. 

Sometimes, the Lord speaks in blatant nudges or quiet whispers. But for me, this is where I hear Him most. It’s as if he calls me to this quiet, open space as an empty vessel. He says “sit, be still, just listen.” And that’s when the outpouring happens. My hands write more quickly than my mind moves. That’s how I know. The Lord romances us each differently. This is where He pursues me. Where I hear his promises over me most clearly. Where he sings over me with analogies bearing deeper wisdom. 

In the words of Ann Voskamp, “Ours is the romanced universe.” 

“As the lover has a glint in his eye, lights when you grace a room, breaks into a smile when he catches you looking his way, as the lover traces the contours of your face, like he can outline, map, intimately know the promised land of your soul – who knows that this is how your Waymaker thrills to find you: “There she is! There she is!” smiling every time He sees you, never stops smiling over you, His heart, hurting with His joying and rejoying in you. Who knows how the triune God, in His sweet, swooning baritone. 

celebrates and sings

because of you, 

and he will refresh your life

with His love. (Zephaniah 3:17)

Who knows and is known by the tenderness of already being loved like this, how God breaks out into a serenading love songs not just over you – God’s singing because of you, because who you are, your beloved soul, moves your Maker to music? Who keeps coming back to this, to sit in a knowness, a love like this?”


I woke with a heavy heart this morning. The Lord called to me. He smiles when I come into His presence. He cascaded the waterfall of His unending love into the chasm of my soul. He romances me. And I am lighter because of it. 


Comments

Popular Posts